Tuesday 28 October 2008

Getting use to going about on my own steam again

Last Friday on way way to the shops in the next town my car decided to splutter to a halt. Conveniently this happened right outside a garage on the main road. I tried to contact my hubby to find out what I should do but he must have been too busy to answer his phone, so I reluctantly went into the garage and asked if one of the mechanics would have a wee look at it for me. The lads were good enough to bring the car off the main road and check it over for me. And of course, like most mechanics, with the sharp in take of breath, "that a costly repair Missus. The timing belt has snapped. Would you like us to go a head and repair it for you" "Ermmm no thanks I better wait for hubby to make that decision" I replied. They were good enough to allow me to leave the car outside their premises. That evening, when hubby came home in we had a rather scary drive home as hubby towed me using his car. I hate being towed, especially if its dark and raining and I cant see! So that's car No 1 off the road. So the following day I used his car to do my shopping in. But it wasn't plain sailing as it took 15 minutes each time I tried to start the car. The car engine would not catch first time. Anyway, yesterday hubby was going around getting all the spare parts to repair my car. He used to be a qualified motor mechanic for his family business, then a self employed taxi driver. He now works for parcel force. Much better being employed than self employed, at least at the end of the month you know there is a guaranteed wage coming in. He is going to repair my car and despite my problems starting his car, he was managing to get it to go from A to B ok. Then comes the phone call. My car has broken down come and get me from hubby. So once again using Son No1's car I went out to get him and he towed me again. This time it was less scary as it was during the day, but I still hated it. After some discussion we have decided to scrap his car but will take all the good bits of his and put them on to mine and we will have to learn to car share. It wont be too hard as he works constant backshift and I do my shopping in the morning. But while both cars are off the road we are having to get about on our own steam. Apart from when its cold and raining its really not too bad. On a business forum that I am a member of there was a thread asking "what do you call your car?" Well I have come up with a name for mine. Steve Austin! The six million dollar car(man). We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, faster..... ;)

No comments: